popcorn in Irish?

Latest post Thu, Jan 13 2011 16:42 by seano. 2 replies.
  • Wed, Jan 12 2011 18:18

• birdnbush
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 7 2010
    • Southington , CT. USA
    • Posts 10
    • Points 193

popcorn in Irish?

I was eating a bowl of popcorn when what should pop into my mind? How do you say "popcorn" in Irish?Stick out tongue

As I write this post here in Connecticut on January 12, we are being buried in 18 or more inches of snow, "Tá sé ag cur sneachta anois".

I understand that many of you folk in Ireland have recently seen more "sneachta" than you are used to. Is there still any left?

• Post Points: 21
  • Thu, Jan 13 2011 12:42 In reply to

• michelle
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 13 2008
    • Béal Feirste, Éire (Belfast, Ireland)
    • Posts 2,956
    • Points 608,595

Re: popcorn in Irish?

Popcorn

grán rósta

http://focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=popcorn

an sneachta leáite - the snow is melted! (I hope that's correct as it's my attempt at a translation of what I'd say in English - perhaps Irish has got a different way of describing the disappearance of snow!).

Is fearr dhá theanga ná ceann amháin…

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 21
  • Thu, Jan 13 2011 16:42 In reply to

• seano
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 28 2008
    • Posts 566
    • Points 5,302

Re: popcorn in Irish?

Those are indeed the correct expressions. I think I remember hearing the phrase arbhar borrtha somewhere for popcorn, but of course popcorn isn't corn in the European sense, it's sweetcorn or maize, what the Irish used to call min bhuí or yellow meal. As for melting, leá is certainly the standard expression but many people in the north would use the expression cascairt for melting - tá cascairt ag teacht ar an sneachta, or tá an sneachta ag cascairt. But it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, or if you prefer, is ionann an cás, an t-éag is an bás!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2019 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links