Tyranny of the Awus

Latest post 01-19-2017 10:05 by tonyd. 4 replies.
  • 12-14-2016 12:41

• tonyd
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2015
    • Posts 21
    • Points 384

Tyranny of the Awus

Jeremiah Curtin in his Hero Tales of Ireland in his tale: Cud, Cad and Micad: Three Sons of the King of Urhu includes a clan of villains/tyrants/ogres called Awus. In one sense it is odd they have a name usually villains are generic fathach, gruagach or Fomoire.

The closest phonetic equivalent I can find is athúll (potato apple) the poisonous fruit of the potato plant that appears in certain weather conditions. Despite the heroes' adventures there is a constant sub text on food. Is anyone aware of any lore in relation to the athúll? Equally Awus could be something completely different.

I bhfad iallach orthu ar aon chúnamh,

Tony D.

• Post Points: 36
  • 12-19-2016 15:17 In reply to

• otuathail
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2014
    • Ireland
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,259

Re: Tyranny of the Awus

Hi Tony,

I'm not familiar with the tale and have never heard of a clan of villains called Awus. But there is a word abhas (with variant amhas) which could be phoenetically similar to awus depending how awus is meant to be pronounced (not much stress on the u I would guess).

Dinneen's defines abhas as mercenary soldier, a fierce, violent man and amhas as a mercenary soldier, or a wild ungovernable man, a madman, a beast, a glutton or a monster.

• Post Points: 21
  • 12-20-2016 10:53 In reply to

• tonyd
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2015
    • Posts 21
    • Points 384

As always I think you're right, the 'us' is no doubt soft and not hard.

What I'm working on is part 2 in a discussion of the fairy tales in the aftermath of famines, or similar disasters. Famine and the Fairy Tale I was part 1. All of your comments have been very helpful and I would like to acknowledge this in the introductory note at the beginning if you did not mind. If you look at miotas.org you will see I'm a bit off with the fairies but the first part I purposely proofed through Trinity (MPhil thesis) to ensure reasonable method and rigour. The second part is shorter and I will publish it in January. 

• Post Points: 5
  • 01-18-2017 18:11 In reply to

• otuathail
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2014
    • Ireland
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,259

Hi Tony,

No need for acknowledgement. Happy to know any input I gave was was helpful in some way.

• 01-19-2017 10:05 In reply to

• tonyd
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2015
    • Posts 21
    • Points 384

Too late! I've thanked you already using your nom de plume, Otuathail, in the opening background note in: Famine and the Fairy Tale II (this is a first draft but it will not change too much)  All your contributions were very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2017 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links