Gaeilge cuidiú.

Latest post 12-29-2016 10:39 by Dale D. 1 replies.
  • 12-28-2016 9:44

• Ryboss47
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-01-2016
    • United States
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,806

Gaeilge cuidiú.

*Not positive if the title is grammatically correct or if it is but it just needs to be lenited.

Working on my book again, while translating some of the questions came across some of my own.

1: why is "deir" not lenited after the preverbal particle "a"?

2: If an "i" is added before the final consonant of a name while addressing a person, and that final consonant happens to be an "s" is that "s" now pronounced like an sh sound?

3: Cén chaoi a ndeirtear "His/her name is.."?  My best guess is Seán atá air.  Máire atá uirthi.  And I'm sure there are other ways to say it.

4: I'm surprised I haven't learned this yet.  For eclipsed words that now start with a "g" or "n", do you pronounce the new initial instead or combine the sounds?

5: Ok, in one of the questions a name was lenited without being addressed by another person and in other sentences other names weren't.  Why is that?

"Cén t-ainm atá ar mhac Thomáis?"

Any other question didn't have lenition:

"Cén freagra a thugann Seán?"

Any and all answers will be much appreciated!!

Grma, slán go foill!

• Post Points: 21
  • 12-29-2016 10:39 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-18-2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 445
    • Points 7,090

Re: Gaeilge cuidiú.

Haigh, Ryan.

Not sure I can help you on #1 without a little research....

2.  Yes.  Example, "a Shéamais" "James" (lenited)  goes from "Shay-muss" (Séamas) to "uh Hay-mish".  (My wife thought that "Haymish" was the Irish version of James, so when I told her it was "Shaymuss" she was surprised.  I then clarified where the alternate pronunciation comes from......)

3.  Correct, as far as I can tell.

4.  For most eclipsing consonants, the original one becomes silent and the inserted one pronounced, but with "g" eclipsed by "n" the resulting sound is more like a "ing" sound, from everything I have heard, so the "n" and the "g" are both pronounced.  I suspect there may be some dialectical variations to this....

5.  Okay, on this one you have to look at the function of the name within the sentence.  In the first one, the name has become genitive:  "What is the name of the son of Thomas?"  In the other it is simply the direct object:  "What answer did Seán give?"

I hope that helps.  And if I am in error on any of this, please, someone, don't be bashful about correcting me.....

Slán!

Dale D

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2017 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links