A question, please

Latest post 04-22-2017 1:23 by DnK. 3 replies.
  • 04-20-2017 15:00

• Bama
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-06-2011
    • Posts 198
    • Points 3,659

A question, please

Dia daoibh ! Listening to online Ulster speakers, I've noticed that some speakers have such a heavy accent that it's very hard to understand them while other Ulster speakers don't have a heavy accent and are quite easy to understand. Is this a regional thing ? Go  raibh maith agat. 🍀😙

• Post Points: 36
  • 04-21-2017 9:23 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-18-2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 461
    • Points 7,229

Re: A question, please

Haigh, Bama.

I may not have an accurate ear for Irish speakers in Ulster, but I can tell you a bit about the English speakers.  Just within Belfast there are at least three different pronunciation patterns, and I suspect those would cross over into Gaeilge as well.  The best example I can think of is with the word "now" although most words that rime with it would fit the same pattern.  In most of Northern Ireland "now" is pronounced as "nye" or at least that is the best phonetic similarity.  Some people in certain parts of Belfast will pronounce it "nar" and I do not know how that would cross over into Irish.  But those differences do exist, and about every ten miles there is a slight shift in the accent so that, with exposure, you could probably identify someone from Portadown and be able to differentiate from a Belfast accent.

I don't know if that helps....

Dale D

• Post Points: 5
  • 04-21-2017 17:06 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-18-2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 461
    • Points 7,229

Hey, Bama, one more thing.  You might already know about this, but there is a TV show from Northern Ireland on YouTube (only one season, I think, which was 8 episodes) called "Scúp!" about An Nuacht Gaeilge in Belfast, which follows the travails of an Irish language paper trying to make it in Belfast.  There is some occasional use of English, but most of it is done as Gaeilge with subtitles.  I wish there was a way to turn off the subtitles, as I think I would get more out of it that way, but they seem to have been captured with the video.  But it's a great way to listen to that Ulster dialect!

Dale D

• Post Points: 21
  • 04-22-2017 1:23 In reply to

• DnK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2017
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Grma , a Dale ! I'll give it a look over 😁

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2017 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links