Sort of new member from the US Left Coast, San Francisco

Latest post Fri, Apr 13 2018 5:22 by Dale D. 4 replies.
  • Fri, Mar 30 2018 23:52

• drithli
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 13 2018
    • California (USA)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 84

Sort of new member from the US Left Coast, San Francisco

Afro-Celt, no, not the music group.

Devoted to learning both written and spoken Irish, and study of Old Irish language and spirituality.

I frequently use Irish in professional work as a distinctive Brand identification that keeps the language in the public eye and in use regardless of whether people know the language. My hope is that even if contact with my business results in someone becoming introduced to innealtóir = engineer, it is a huge positive for Irish culture.

As a person of mixed race, my love of my Irish ancestry is constantly questioned. I've been forced out of online communities on the issue.

If I'm not welcome here, just say so do we don't waste each other's time and energy.

• Post Points: 21
  • Sun, Apr 1 2018 15:54 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 18 2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 8,554

Re: Sort of new member from the US Left Coast, San Francisco

Haigh!

Dale is ainm dom.  Tá mé i mo gcónaí i Woodland, California, in aice le Sacramento.  Fáilte romhat!

Welcome!  This is definitely a forum for anyone interested in learning the Irish language, and through it, learning more about Irish and Celtic culture.  I truly hope that you will find no bias against you here for being of "mixed race".  This forum was established to assist those who want to learn Irish, and to give learners a place to share what they have learned as well as to learn from others.

Thank you for joining the forum!

Dale

• Post Points: 21
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 16:32 In reply to

• drithli
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 13 2018
    • California (USA)
    • Posts 4
    • Points 84

My thanks Dale.

I can't presume to know why but so far yours is the only response I've received since joining. Over previously asked for help . . .

http://talkirish.com/forums/p/5754/16909.aspx#16909

I came up with a transliteration of "Doiléir Ó Draíocht" and would certainly appreciate a bit of help making this a legitimate sounding expression in Irish.

Thank you kindly

Then later followed up with . . .

So perhaps Do-aitheanta is a better translation of Indistinguishable?

Somebody, anybody, help here?

So for whatever reason, I've been unable to find support here or any Irish language site so far. ImI thinking formal, paid lessons without community will be my only real option.

Again, thank you much,

"Drithliú"

Muireann Ni Sidach

• Post Points: 37
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 3:08 In reply to

• LauraHuntORI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 8 2015
    • Chicago, IL, USA
    • Posts 231
    • Points 2,498

Tá fáilte romhat, cinnte. 

Ní postáil ach cúpla duine ar an mbord comhrá seo, agus fiú ní dhéanimid é go minic. 

Níl maith go leor Gaeilge agam chun do cheist a fhreagairt. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Apr 13 2018 5:22 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 18 2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 568
    • Points 8,554

Hello, again.

As to the number of responses...probably a couple of reasons.  Most people on here currently are beginners, and even someone like myself, who have studied it on and off for many years, consider myself a practical beginner.  We sometimes have those around who are well versed with the language, but not always.

Questions like yours might be right for "The Irish Language Forum" which you can find by an online search, and it's easy to join.  A lot of people who are well versed in the language hang out there and are willing to offer help.

Now, it's not that I'm trying to drive you away, but your questions seem to require a bit more expertise than I have.  If I saw your initial post, I was probably too intimidated to attempt a response.  We all try, to what extent we can, but this is really a learning site, or a site to communicate with other learners, rather than a translation site, especially if you want something reliable.  So I do recommend you try the Irish Language Forum, but we hope you continue to talk to us here as well and let us know what resources you have for learning Irish, and engage in a bit of conversation, etc.

All the best!

Dale

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2018 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links