Name

Latest post Wed, Jun 6 2018 22:14 by Siobhanabc. 2 replies.
  • Sat, Jun 2 2018 9:06

• Lornyann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 2 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 21

Name

Hi,

I hope someone can help me regarding a name. I am looking to find an Irish spelling of the name 'Ollie'. I know 'Oilibhear', is the Gaelic  for Oliver and would be very grateful if someone could suggest or know a gaelic form of the name'Ollie'.

Thank you. 

Lorna 

• Post Points: 21
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 13:09 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 18 2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 566
    • Points 8,544

Re: Name

Hello, Lorna.

I have always understood "Ollie" to be a diminutive form of the name "Oliver".  At least, I don't know of any other source for it; my prime example is, of course, Oliver Hardy of Laurel and Hardy, who was always address by Stan Laurel as "Ollie".

While translations of names into Irish are often possible, as with your example of "Oilibhear", diminutive forms of names are not always as straightforward as that.  You may wind up stuck with "Oilibhear".

There are a variety of online Irish Name Translation services, but I could not find "Ollie" on any of my favorite ones.

Good luck!

Dale D

• Post Points: 21
  • Wed, Jun 6 2018 22:14 In reply to

Re: Name

Is feidir leat é a litriú Olí agus fuaimníonn tú sin agus an béarla mar a gcéanna ach ní ainm gaelach é. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2018 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links