Song Lyrics?

Latest post Tue, Jan 21 2014 21:08 by seano. 5 replies.
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 22:09

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 18 2011
    • Woodland, California USA
    • Posts 591
    • Points 8,797

Song Lyrics?

Hello, all.

I have a CD of "The Shannon Castle Singers" that was recorded in 1974, when I was in Ireland, but which I purchased more recently.  (I had a cassette tape once....)  I have been striving to get the Irish lyrics to all the songs they sing in Irish, but I haven't been able to find one; it's called "Fuaireagh-Sa Cuireadh".  I found, in my dictionary, that "Cuireadh" is "Invitation", but I haven't found the words published anywhere.

Might there be anyone here who has the lyrics to this song in Irish, perhaps with an English translation?  I would appreciate it very much!

I did discover that "fuair" is the past tense of "faigh" which is "get", so I thought maybe it's something like "You got an invitation!" but I can't find the particular form.  Might this be an earlier form that was changed with the more modern revisions in the language?  Any insights?

Thanks.

Dale D

• Post Points: 51
  • Sun, Jan 12 2014 20:02 In reply to

• seano
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 28 2008
    • Posts 566
    • Points 5,302

Re: Song Lyrics?

Hi Dale, I'm finally getting round to answering this! It is really Fuaireas-sa cuireadh, which means I got an invitation. In Munster Irish it is usual to say things like rinneas instead of rinne mé or bhuaileas instead of bhuail mé. I found the words at a site called sean-nós beo. It's plainly a southern version of the song Cuach mo londubh buí:

Fuaireas-sa cuireadh

Fuaireas-sa cuireadh chun dul ar a’ bpósadh
    Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,
    Is olc a chuaigh an cuireadh san dómhsa
    Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,
    Dhódh mo stocaí ’gus ghoideadh mo bhróga
    Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,
    Agus thit mo bhean in oighean na feola
    Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,

Ní bhfuaireas-sa scian ná forc chun a tógtha,
    Ach scian do bhí briste ’gus forc a bhí leointe.
    Liúigh sí ’s bhéic sí, stracadh a clóca,
    ’S thug sí clabht’ trasna an srón dom.

Dh’fhágas-sa thíos í go raibh sí dóite,
    ’S dheineas-sa féin mo mhéaranna a dhóigh léi.
    Tháinig an gruagach uaibhreach cróga
    ’S thóg sé aníos í as coire na feola.

D’fhiartha sí dhíom an iníon dom an óigbhean,
    Dúrtsa nárbh ea ach mo thríú beanphósta!
    “Gaibh-se an bealach ’s gabhad-sa an bóthar
    ’S pé ’cu againn a leanfaidh sí bíodh sí go deo aige.”

Chuas-sa an bealach is chuaigh seisean an bóthar
    ’S lean sí an gruagach ós aige a bhí an óige.
    Do shuíos-sa ar bhloicín is ghoileas mo dhóthain,
    Do shileas-sa deora go hard a’ tráthnóna.

Feic Ní Riain, N. Stór Amhrán Ossian Publications, Londain; 1988

Have a go at working it out and if there's anything you can't understand (some of the spelling is very non-standard) I'll help you out! :-)

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 22:45 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 591
    • Points 8,797

Hi, Seáno!  Thank you for sending the words, and it's nice to know about the alternative form used in Munster.

I've gone through the words, and I can get bits and pieces here and there, so...maybe I'll have a go at what I can figure out or sort out, and let you fill in the blanks?  I'll write my (supposed/partial) translation to the right of each line, and hopefully it won't get too confusing.....

Fuaireas-sa cuireadh chun dul ar a’ bpósadh                       I received an invitation to a wedding

Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,                                                  Phonetic babble, similar to "Fa la la la la" or "Doo dah doo" and the like....

Is olc a chuaigh an cuireadh san dómhsa                            Its bad (bad luck?) to go on an invitation ... not sure about "dómhsa" but I have a feeling I'll kick  myself for not knowing it when I find out.....

Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,                                          Same phonetic babble, but in the verions of the song I'm familiar with, they only use "Hacstaí hódaí hicidí hum" without the "micidí" -- same at the end of the verse.

Dhódh mo stocaí ’gus ghoideadh mo bhróga                       Something about my shoes and stockings

Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,                                                  Phonetic babble....

Agus thit mo bhean in oighean na feola                              And my woman fell in the oven on the meat  (?)

Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,                                          Phonetic babble, again with extraneous "micidí"

Ní bhfuaireas-sa scian ná forc chun a tógtha,                       I didn't get a knife nor fork given to me  (babble follows each line from here on out, but not written)

Ach scian do bhí briste ’gus forc a bhí leointe.                      But the knife was broken and the fork was (leointe?)

Liúigh sí ’s bhéic sí, stracadh a clóca,                                  She whooped and bellowed, ?? stones (?)

’S thug sí clabht’ trasna an srón dom.                                 And she gave me a clout across my nose

Dh’fhágas-sa thíos í go raibh sí dóite,                                 I left (???) ? ?

’S dheineas-sa féin mo mhéaranna a dhóigh léi.                  and ?

Tháinig an gruagach uaibhreach cróga                                 The ugly, hairy ogre came (?????)

’S thóg sé aníos í as coire na feola.                                     ... something...now...something...the meat

D’fhiartha sí dhíom an iníon dom an óigbhean,                     She ?? ?? the daughter to me a young woman (?)

Dúrtsa nárbh ea ach mo thríú beanphósta!                           something my third "beanphósta" --- wife?  (Married woman)

“Gaibh-se an bealach ’s gabhad-sa an bóthar                       something the way and something the road

’S pé ’cu againn a leanfaidh sí bíodh sí go deo aige.”            And ? ?  ?  (sort of lost on this one.

Chuas-sa an bealach is chuaigh seisean an bóthar                ...something....the way...something the road

’S lean sí an gruagach ós aige a bhí an óige.                        and  ... she a frown ... was with a young one

Do shuíos-sa ar bhloicín is ghoileas mo dhóthain,                  ???  ????  ???  ????  ???
    Do shileas-sa deora go hard a’ tráthnóna.                             ?? a high/? evening

There may be a couple of other words I could get, but you can see my skills are still quite feeble....

Thanks again, Seáno!  Hope to hear from you again soon.

Dale D

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 20:11 In reply to

• seano
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 566
    • Points 5,302

Hi Dale, It's not easy but you've done very well, I must say!

Fuaireas-sa cuireadh chun dul ar a’ bpósadh                       I received an invitation to a wedding 'to go to a wedding'

Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,                                                  Phonetic babble, similar to "Fa la la la la" or "Doo dah doo" and the like....

Is olc a chuaigh an cuireadh san dómhsa                            Its bad (bad luck?) to go on an invitation ... not sure about "dómhsa" but I have a feeling I'll kick  myself for not knowing it when I find out..... It's badly the invitation went for me (i.e. it didn't have a good result)

Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,                                          Same phonetic babble, but in the verions of the song I'm familiar with, they only use "Hacstaí hódaí hicidí hum" without the "micidí" -- same at the end of the verse.

Dhódh mo stocaí ’gus ghoideadh mo bhróga                       Something about my shoes and stockings My socks were burned and my shoes were stolen

Hacstaí micidí hicidí hum,                                                  Phonetic babble....

Agus thit mo bhean in oighean na feola                              And my woman fell in the oven on the meat  (?) 'in the meat oven'

Hacstaí hódaí micidí hicidí hum,                                          Phonetic babble, again with extraneous "micidí"

Ní bhfuaireas-sa scian ná forc chun a tógtha,                       I didn't get a knife nor fork given to me  (babble follows each line from here on out, but not written) I didn't get a knife and fork to lift her out

Ach scian do bhí briste ’gus forc a bhí leointe.                      But the knife was broken and the fork was (leointe?) But a broken knife and a twisted fork.

Liúigh sí ’s bhéic sí, stracadh a clóca,                                  She whooped and bellowed, (close enough), and her cloak was ripped ?? stones (?)

’S thug sí clabht’ trasna an srón dom.                                 And she gave me a clout across my nose (Exactly!)

Dh’fhágas-sa thíos í go raibh sí dóite,                                 I left (???) ? ? To me this means 'I left her down until she was burnt' but from the context perhaps it means 'because she was burnt' in this dialect?

’S dheineas-sa féin mo mhéaranna a dhóigh léi.                  and ? and I burnt my own fingers on her,

Tháinig an gruagach uaibhreach cróga                                 The ugly, hairy ogre came (?????) The arrogant bold ogre came

’S thóg sé aníos í as coire na feola.                                     ... something...now...something...the meat 'And he took her up out of the meat cauldron'

D’fhiartha sí dhíom an iníon dom an óigbhean,                     She ?? ?? the daughter to me a young woman (?) He asked me if the young woman was my daughter

Dúrtsa nárbh ea ach mo thríú beanphósta!                           something my third "beanphósta" --- wife?  (Married woman) I said she wasn't but my third wife!

“Gaibh-se an bealach ’s gabhad-sa an bóthar                       something the way and something the road 'You go the path and I'll go the road'

’S pé ’cu againn a leanfaidh sí bíodh sí go deo aige.”            And ? ?  ?  (sort of lost on this one. 'And whichever of us she follows let her be with him always.'

Chuas-sa an bealach is chuaigh seisean an bóthar                ...something....the way...something the road  'I went the path and he went the road'

’S lean sí an gruagach ós aige a bhí an óige.                        and  ... she a frown ... was with a young one 'And she followed the ogre because he had the youth'

Do shuíos-sa ar bhloicín is ghoileas mo dhóthain,                  ???  ????  ???  ????  ???  'I sat down on a stump and cried my fill'
    Do shileas-sa deora go hard a’ tráthnóna.                             ?? a high/? evening   ' I shed tears until the high evening.'

A lot of the spellings are non-standard and some of the words are southern dialect. Plus some of the words are ... kind of insane! But well done for getting as much as you did.

• Sat, Jan 18 2014 0:14 In reply to

• Dale D
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 591
    • Points 8,797

Hi, Seáno!  Thank you so much for that!  I am in the process of adding this song to my collection of songs I have in Irish with translations.  It always makes the experience much more satisfying when you know what you're singing, especially when you find out the translation to a song like Fureas-sa Cureadh.

Dale D

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 21:08 In reply to

• seano
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 566
    • Points 5,302

It's a great way to learn, though like most Irish people I only know one verse of anything ... :-(

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2019 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links