Old Irish Translation

Latest post Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:38 by otuathail. 3 replies.
  • Thu, Mar 2 2017 4:32

• sionainn24
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 2 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 41

Old Irish Translation

Hi, I recently discovered the name Aisling and there is plenty of info on how it is pronounced properly, the majority saying Ashling, though I am still confused on if dialects would alter that and have also heard OSH-ling and A-shling. However, I see it is from the original word Aislinge. Could anyone help me get a true pronunciation for this word? Or both?

Thank you so much!

• Post Points: 36
  • Thu, Mar 2 2017 15:05 In reply to

• otuathail
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 17 2014
    • Ireland
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,390

Re: Old Irish Translation

Hi Sionainn,

Ashling would be close enough.

A-shling, to me, sounds like an American trying to pronounce it. And I've never heard and irish person say OSH-ling...except maybe an English speaker with notions from Dublin 4. The Dublin 4 (or D4 as we call it) accent is the butt of a lot of jokes here in Ireland - like is pronounced loike, dart becomes dort, and I guess Aisling could be pronounced Oshling

But I digress...

Here's a link with correct pronounciation of aisling for the three main dialects. They're all much the same.

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/aisling

• Post Points: 5
  • Sat, Mar 4 2017 1:14 In reply to

• sionainn24
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 2 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 41

Thanks very much for that! I really appreciate it. The version with the "e" at the end is almost impossible to find the pronunciation of. All it says is that it is Old Irish, so I am assuming that the language has changed in that past several hundred years. Makes me curious as to the differences. Hopefully people are still around who have that knowledge. I would love to learn about that one day!

And, haha, I am familiar with the D4 sounds, but didnt know they were Dublin or that they got that kind of attention from other parts of the nation. Awesome to learn! 

Thanks again!

• Tue, Mar 7 2017 11:38 In reply to

• otuathail
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 17 2014
    • Ireland
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,390

Sorry, missed the bit about a pronounciation for aislinge. If this is old Irish, I'm afarid I can't help. The only aislinge I'd know is the modern genitive form of aisling...pronounced something like ashling-eh... (that eh sort of rhymes with the English word the)

Pronounciation of aislinge

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2017 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links