Bare is a shoulder without a brother

Latest post 04-12-2017 8:09 by Ryboss47. 1 replies.
  • 04-11-2017 14:37

Bare is a shoulder without a brother

I'm trying to find out more about this phrase.  I understand it to be Irish, or Celtic, ot Gaelic (forgive me for not knowing how or if those terms are interchangeable).  My family has Irish roots and my brother recently passed away.  I think this phrase or saying it a perfect tribute or description of how I feel now.  Any history would be appreciated, as well as knowledge on how to write AND pronounce it properly.

Many thanks in advance!

• Post Points: 21
  • 04-12-2017 8:09 In reply to

• Ryboss47
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-01-2016
    • United States
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,955

Re: Bare is a shoulder without a brother

I can't offer a translation but I can absolutely clear things up a little.  I believe one of the most misunderstood topics is the title of the language itself.  It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine especially when people refer to it as Celtic.  That's correct in a sense.  It is A Celtic language.  Basically it's broken down like this--think of it as a branching chart, or whatever term you'd like to call it.  Celtic would be at the top which branches off into two groups...Goidelic (or Gaelic) and Brittonic languages.  And then the Gaelic languages break down into three languages itself:  Irish Gaelic or simply just Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Manx.  I've commonly heard that using the term "Gaelic" when speaking in English, one would be actually referring to Scottish Gaelic.  I even find that the name in Scottish for Scottish is closer to "Gaelic" than the Irish term for "Irish".  But I've heard many argue on both sides as to which language is actually being referred to when using the term "Gaelic".  Many of us find it easiest and fair among languages to simply call it Irish.  Just as you would Spanish for Spain, Japanese for Japan, Polish for Poland, Norwegian for Norway, Russian for Russia, etc.

In Scottish...Gàidhlig

In Irish...Gaeilge

Just my two cents.

Ryan

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Learn Irish with Talk Irish, 117a Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1SH, N Ireland
© Copyright 2017 TalkIrish.com  -  Privacy Policy  -  About Us  -  Jobs  -  News  -  Links